Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Nice: Musée Matisse and Musée Chagall


6/3/12


I can’t believe we’re in Nice! It’s a different world than Paris and I love it. I’m ten minutes from the beach and the apartments have kitchens, so I am content. We arrived Saturday afternoon after much waiting and a very short flight. Thankfully we got here safely and got settled. This morning we went to church on the other side of Nice and the chapel is beautiful. I really enjoyed it and afterwards we visited the Musee Matisse and Musee Chagall because a lot of museums are free the first Sunday of the month.  Fortunately both museums were within walking distance of the chapel.

The Matisse museum was pretty interesting, but the layout of the museum was confusing. I really liked the doodle-type works that he did. His sculptures reminded me of Rodin, though. One of my favorite pieces was a sketch he did overlooking a beach. He also did some cool works of storms in Nice.






The Chagall museum was much better! When I originally saw Chagall’s work on the ceiling of the Opera Garnier I thought it was tacky because it contrasted starkly with the rest of the room. But seeing Chagall’s work displayed was awesome. It was a very Sunday appropriate museum because he mostly did Biblical scenes. I loved how he used so many bright colors, which made his work and artistic style stand out from all the other art I’ve seen. It was an enjoyable Sunday. 





One of my favorites.




No comments:

Post a Comment